I recently showed you some stick figures I made in 2016 and updated in 2020. The project made me want to try some more figures. I will be showing you the results of those efforts over the next couple of weeks while describing the process and any changes I made.
In this next group, I will show you the next phase of stick lady construction in my recent project. This group has attached arms and…attached heads. Yes. Just take a look.
As I have said before, I collected the body sticks, and for these, I was looking for moderately substantial branches. Once I had found what I wanted (testing them against rotten or decayed wood by banging them against a tree trunk to see if they broke) I sawed them into lengths and went through my dishwasher sanitizing process and let them dry.
I took a smaller-diameter stick and cut it into “head”-sized pieces, matching them with bodies.
Then I chose arms and attached them as before, first drilling a hole and them nailing them to the body.
I created features and clothing with my woodburning tool. I cut bases from a plank and painted them black.
Then I assembled them. Today I will show you two, in detail, and later on the other two, that I made in this way.
Using dowel screws I first attached the head and then connected the body to the base. I used differently-sized screws because it was important to get the proportions right. On my first try I chose screws that were too short for the “legs” portion and the figures look squat and ungainly. A longer screw corrected that problem.
Here are two figurines. They range in size from 16-18″ tall, all parts included.
I have two more to show you in a later post.