I recently showed you some stick figures I made in 2016 and updated in 2020. The project made me want to try some more figures. I will be showing you the results of those efforts over the next couple of weeks while describing the process and any changes I made.
Most of this project involved making stick ladies. These I will show you today are derived from the ones I did in the past, which were all in one piece:
I gathered a selection of branches that I thought would be suitable for bodies. I was looking for something a little thicker than the ones I had used in the past.
And I decided to make the new ones with arms. Accordingly I collected sticks of a smaller diameter than the body materials I was looking for.
I peeled or cut off any bark, cut all the sticks into shorter lengths, and ran them through the dishwasher to get rid of any bugs. I let them dry outside for about a week.
And…the arms. I cut them to a good size to fit the figures, first drilling a hole through them and then nailing them on to the body. By drilling first, I reduced my chanced of splitting the wood when I nailed.
Then I got busy with my woodburning set and gave them faces and clothing. I made bases for them from small blocks of wood that I painted black and attached the two pieces with dowel screws.
Here are the results:
These two figures are about 12″ tall in total (including the “legs” and base). Here are some detail photos.
And here is Lady #2:
I like how the natural curve of the wood gives the lady figures a posture and an attitude.